Monday, August 31, 2015

Wallowa Lake 2015: Part I

Today was my first day back at work. I had a 5 a.m. wake up for dance team and an all day meeting for the committee I am on. Summer is over.
 So we will have a look back at some carefree summer days..
Every year my husband's family goes to Wallowa lake for about a week.
This is only my third time going, and each time I fall more in love with our beautiful state!
It is about a 6 hour drive for us, and this year I decided to try to document some of the countryside we pass through on our way. Even though it is a long drive, it a beautiful one.
This first picture is only 1 minute out of town...I live in a beautiful place!
Joel loves it when I take picture of him when he is driving (obviously!)
He loves it even more when I take selfies! 
Actually he must not have noticed I was doing it, because usually he makes fun of me and then tries to photobomb it with his hand. Our back seat is packed to the brim.

The Columbia River Gorge.

Somewhere between La Grande and Wallowa.
We made it to our destination after dark, and we were greeted with a warm welcome from our identical twin nephews, (I got a hug, Joel got a Power Ranger roundhouse kick! haha) and then had to set up our brand new tent for the first time using our car headlights. That was no picture until the next morning!
Doughnuts from Vali's Alpine Restaurant are a tradition. They are pretty popular though, and this year they stopped taking orders early and we didn't get our order in time, so we had to try to get there early and wait in line to get donuts for 18 people...the line was out the door...
Well, we didn't get there early enough. There were about 8 doughnuts left when we got up to the counter, and we didn't want to be jerks and buy all of them when there were still people in line behind us so we bought a few and split them.
My half was delicious.
Next it was off to cowboy church. We got there half an hour late, but we didn't miss the sermon. It was a whole 5 minutes long. I thought maybe it was just a recap but apparently that was the whole thing!
Since half of a doughnut didn't quite fill us up, we decided to go to the Red Horse Cafe for breakfast.
We had coffee and split a huge breakfast burrito, and it was sooo yummy.
This was just MY half!
We walked around town and looked at some shops, and then decided to head back to the cabin to play some cribbage. I snapped this sad picture of the lake on our way back.
A little rainy and gloomy. No lake time today!
There's blue skies in the distance though...

Oregon is so beautiful!
Happy Monday.

1 comment :