Friday, July 8, 2016

Reading; Me Before You

I have this horrible habit when it comes to reading. When I start a good book, I just read it like a maniac until it's finished. Then I mope around for several weeks after, depressed that the story is over. I get so invested that the characters in the book are like real people to me and when the book is over, I'm sad because I won't ever see them again! I know, I'm a nerd.
I actually decided to write about this in order to deter myself from reading my current book, in hopes to make it last a little longer than the last one!

While we're on the topic of books, I want to talk a little about the last one I read... Me before You.
I brought in vacation with us, and I flew through it! It's a good thing I was in Mexico when I read it, because then I had lots to distract me when I finished it so I wasn't so sad about it being over!

*Spoiler Alert*
If you are planning to read it or see the movie and you haven't yet...
READ NO FURTHER!

So if you have read the book, you know that is controversial, because the love interest, Will Trainor, commits assisted suicide in the end of the story, despite the heroine's, Lou, attempts to convince him that life is still worth living. I had the book spoiled for me before I read it, knowing that he dies, I chose to read it anyway. Many people are upset because they feel that the book promotes assisted suicide. After reading the book, I don't feel that this is the case. Not a single character in the story wants Will to do it. They do everything they can to stop him, but in the end, he cannot be persuaded. His parents and Lou go with him to the facility to end his life. The society in the book, as well as real like, felt like this was an act of support in what he was doing. I, however, don't agree with this. He was going to die, with or without his loved ones. Wouldn't you want to spend every last second with someone you loved if you knew they were going to die? Wouldn't you want their last living moments to be sweet and comfortable? 
I fell in love with Lou and Will. I related to Lou, and I was given a glimpse of someone else's life. Someone else's dilemma, that I, hopefully, never have to go through. It game me an idea of the complications that come along with quadriplegia. Of course, I am a hopeless romantic, and I wanted Will to choose life and my heart broke for Lou, but it made me think.
If you have only seen the movie, and haven't read the book, I encourage you to read it!
As always in a movie, they leave so much out! The character and relationship development just isn't quite there in the movie. The book, however, does have quite a bit more colorful language than the movie. 
I'm currently reading the sequel, "After You". So far, I don't love it quite as much as the first, but like Lou, I'm having a hard time moving on after Will's death, and discovering what her next steps will be.
Any other book nerds out there?
Thoughts?
Happy Reading!

No comments :

Post a Comment