Thursday, July 20, 2017

Book Review: Uninvited by Lysa TerKeurst

Hey everyone, I hope your week is going well!
 I just finished this book, "Uninvited" by Lysa Terkeurst and I wanted to take the time to share it with you.
Probably since about the time I hit high school I have struggled with feelings of loneliness and rejection, and I still do from time to time. I never felt like a was someone's first choice of friend, and I've never really had a best friend. I recognize this is partially my fault. You see, I am what they call an "extroverted-introvert". I am social and like to have friends and go and do things, but I also really just like being at home with my family or by myself, and I suppose sometimes I choose that over doing things with friends which has probably led to them just quitting of thinking to invite me to things anymore. 
I have struggled with feelings of being slighted or overlooked in an areas I am passionate about. 
Whether it was being overlooked for a solo in a dance piece, or a scholarship, or being rejected time and time again in the job interview process, or even feeling like an outsider in my career. The fear of rejection and loneliness never goes away.
I recognize that I have held onto hurts and allowed myself to become bitter over past rejections, and while I have "moved on" and I haven't entirely let it go.
Lysa TerKeurst addresses these issues in this book, and it makes the reader feel validated by sharing her own heartaches and rejections. She is a successful writer and woman of ministry, and yet, she also has felt the sting of rejection and embarrassment and self doubt.
As I am sharing this book with you I am kicking myself for not highlighting areas of the book that really resonated with me, but I think the quote from the book that best describes how we should view our hurts and rejections is this:
"The more fully we invite God in, the less we will feel uninvited by others."
If you relate to me in these thoughts and feelings then I highly recommend you read this book!
The message spoke to my heart and inspired me to shift my frame of mind when dealing with rejection.

"The Lord is close to the brokenhearted 
and saves those who are crushed in spirit."
Psalm 34:18

2 comments :

  1. I need to read this book. So many people have connected with it!!

    ReplyDelete