Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Spring Break 2017: Palm Springs, Salvation Mountain

 You guys, this may be my favorite blog post of all time. Get ready for loads of color!!
While we were in Palm Springs for spring break I was able to check a few things off my bucket list.
In this post, those things were trying In-N-Out Burger, and visiting Salvation Mountain.
On our way to Salvation Mountain, we stopped for lunch at the In-N-Out Burger.
I can now officially say I've been. I can't say it's really worth all the hype, but I do love me a good burger and fries ;) I still have to say, my favorite burger the Tillamook Cheeseburger from Burgerville--repin' the Pacific Northwest!
 As we drove through the desert, we passed a huge lake called the Salton Sea. I thought it was so odd that there wasn't a soul on it! I mean, I get that it was the middle of the day on a week day, but it was HUGE! And, it was spring break for Oregonians, you would think it would be a big tourist destination. So, naturally, I googled it. Apparently at one point it was a hot spot for vacationing and water sports, but over time something happened to it, causing all the fish to die and making it smell horrible. That's just my summary of it, look it up for more information. It's quite sad really.
 We drove along the Salton Sea for quite some time, and we kept driving and driving through the dessert. It's an eerie feeling when you are unfamiliar with where you are. Humanity seemed few and far between and there were a lot of little run down communities here and there. You even drive through an odd run down neighborhood to get to the Salvation Mountain, and there is an artist community out there.
 When we finally reached Salvation Mountain I was so happy! You guys, I have been wanting to come here forever! I was not disappointed. I'm not going to write much, I'm just going to let you feast your eyes on the beautiful, colorful folk art!



 After wandering around in the desert for about an hour, at about 6 months pregnant, I was hot, tired, thirsty, dirty and I had to pee. So we headed out in search of a restroom. There was ONE near by, and it was basically an out house. Let's just say it was an experience I don't want to repeat! There is a volunteer group who up keeps Salvation Mountain by forming work parties every so often to re-paint. For more information about the original artist and helping out visit the website here.
 I don't know if I shall ever return to Salvation Mountain, but I can now proudly say I have checked it off my bucket list. What an amazing art expression created by one man. If you ever have the chance to go, do!

Happy Travels!

No comments :

Post a Comment