Saturday, March 16, 2019

To Know & Be Known

Original Artwork by Me!
Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've probably been hearing a lot about the "Enneagram" personality test lately (sorry, that was kind of harsh--maybe I should have just said, if your not on social media all the time like me!). 
For those of you haven't, the most basic explanation is that it's there are 9 existing different personality types. 
Here is a link to a brief description of each type. If you want to read more in depth about it, read here.
If you want to find out what type you are you can take a free test here.
If you feel like you were mistyped, you can pay to take a more in depth test on the Enneagram Institute.
Also, if you love music and the behind the scenes of a creative podcast, check out The Sleeping At Last Podcast where artist Ryan O'Neal has written a song for each of the Enneagram types and goes in depth behind the "why" for each song. 

I am a type 4: The Individualist
described as "The Sensitive, Withdrawn Type: Expressive, Dramatic, Self-Absorbed, and Temperamental".

Recently, I was listening to the Risen Motherhood podcast while I was giving my son a bath that discussed "why" we humans love to take personality tests.

Later that evening I was contemplating what attribute of God I was going to focus on for the month of March, and I asked God, "What do you want me to know about you?"

And all of the sudden, it hit me:

Why do we like personality tests? Because we want to be known!
Why do we want to be known?
Because we were made in God's image and, get this:
GOD WANTS TO BE KNOWN!!!

>Insert head smack emoji<

I originally started this blog as a result of wanting to be known.
I've always felt like people have put me in a box and underestimated me (read the original explanation of the closet hippo here) and I wanted a platform to share who I am.
God does not like being put in a box and being under estimated either!
There is infinite things to know about God!

God wants me to know him. He already knows me. He wants to be my friend.
I thought to myself, what do I know about God?
What do I struggle to believe about God?
Well the bible says that God is good:
Psalm 34:8 New International Version (NIV)
Taste and see that the Lord is good;
    blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.
If I'm being honest,
 I quite often struggle to truly believe that God is good.
I kept thinking...
If God is good, then I can pick ANY good adjective and attribute it to God.

Being the type 4 that I am, I thought about my favorite quality that God has gifted me....
God gave me an intense desire to be CREATIVE.
So, I'm taking it back to the beginning and focusing on God the Creator.
Genesis 1:1
"In the beginning God created..."

I'd love for you to join me in my journey of getting to know God.
What's something that you have learned about God recently? Please share!

Happy Saturday!

No comments :

Post a Comment