Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Hiking to Blue Pool (AKA Tamolitch Pool) on the McKenzie River

A few weeks ago, Joel and I went hiking with some friends, to a place called Blue Pool or Tamolitch Pool on the McKenzie River. We left early in the morning, because it took us a couple of hours to get there (although it's not too far from where I grew up!). We were the first ones to the trail head and it was still pretty cool when we got there. This was the view from the trail head parking lot.
I adore pine trees. They are so magnificent. It's one of my favorite things to look at. I wish I had this view every day.
Off we go on our hike!
The hike to the pool is relatively easy. There is not a lot of up hill/down hill. It does, however, get a little rocky in parts, and once you get to the pool, you do have to do a little bit of rock climbing, and actually getting down to the pool is really steep.
The Mckenzie river actually goes under grown for a few miles after Carmen Reservoir and Blue Pool is where it comes back up. The water is VERY cold. Not really the type of water good for swimming, but we had fun watching a few unsuspecting people jump in :)

View from above.
When I took this picture, I was standing in what looks like an empty waterfall.
I love how the surroundings reflected into the pool.



Joel was in such a good mood, he even suggested we take a selfie! Of course, this was before we decided to extend our hike onto Carmen Reservoir, making our 4 mile round trip hike into a 10 mile round trip hike. Let's just say I learned on this hike why people use hiking poles and I am going to buy real hiking shoes. My knees hurt so bad when I got home I had to CRAWL up the stairs!!
Even though we were all really tired when we finished our 10 mile hike, we all felt really accomplished! Such a fun adventure to be had with friends. It will always be a cherished memory!
I highly recommend the 4 mile hike to Blue Pool. It is so beautiful, you will not regret it!!
For more info check here.

I love exploring Oregon. I am in love with trees, mountains, lakes and rivers right now.
We just got back from Eastern Oregon and a Country Music Festival and I'm having a hard time coping with the fact that I am not waking up surrounded by trees and mountains every morning!
*Sigh.
Happy Wednesday!

No comments :

Post a Comment