Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day

I hope everyone had a lovely Memorial Day weekend. I especially want to thank my husband, cousin, and grandpa for serving in our military, along with a thanks to all of those who lost their lives while protecting our freedom.

This weekend I got to visit my parents, and I spent Memorial Day watching war movies with my husband. We were most excited to watch the "World Wars" mini-series on the History Channel, that started last night. I have been very excited for this to come on ever since I saw this commercial:

*For some reason, every time I publish this post, the video disappears, so here is the youtube link if you are interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRXyl98-4Sc 

 I love learning about history and seeing all of these notorious leaders and dictators come to life. I think the craziest thing that I learned from last nights episode is that during WWI, Hitler was a messenger in the trenches, and at one point he is injured and British Private Henry Tandey had the opportunity to shoot and kill him, but he couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger. Just imagine if he had. Would we have avoided the horrible events of WWII, or would someone else had stepped up and created a different evil scenario? 
The series paints Hitler as a misfit in his early years. It makes me wonder, if someone had befriended him would he have gone a different path? Maybe someone tried. We'll never know.


If you missed last night's episode, I believe it is airing again today at 7 PM (ET). The second episode in the mini-series is on tonight on the history channel at 9/8 central. You don't want to miss it!
Have a great Tuesday!
  

No comments :

Post a Comment