Monday, June 1, 2015

Birthday Celebration 3: Portland Pearl Casa del Matador

Birthday celebrations continued a week later when my husband and I went up to visit my in-laws and we went out to dinner at a restaurant I've been wanting to go to for a while: The Casa Del Matador in the Pearl District of Portland.
I love interesting places with cool decor, and Mexican/Tex-Mex food is always good!
 
Me and my mother-in-law
  Details outside the door.
I have to say, I seriously failed at taking pictures for this post. The ambiance is way cooler in person than it looks in my pictures.
We ordered margaritas and items off the happy hour menu: Nachos and bacon wrapped, goat cheese stuffed jalepenos. The Nachos were HUGE and delicious, Joel and I shared them. I wish I had taken a picture of them because they were seriously, like, a mountain of nachos, and they were only $5. The bacon wrapped jalepenos were also delicious. They sneak up on you though! They are not spicy until the last bite!
The bar at Cas Del Matador is so cool! I love the eclectic decor, and there is a fireplace in the middle! I'd like to go back sometime and sit at the fireplace, I've heard, though, that its a pretty hard seat to get!
After dinner we went to the Bull Run Distillery across the street and we had a tasting flight of several different liquors that they make. Again, sorry I didn't take may pictures (I get self conscious about taking pics and sometimes Joel gets a little embarrassed/irritated.) I'm not a big drinker, so everything mostly just burned to me, haha, but it was interesting to learn about. The one I remember the most was the Aria Portland Dry Gin. It smelled so good, like juniper! It tasted a little of juniper too, but not too strong.  The bottling is beautiful!

We also went and walked around the Pearl District and looked at all the different businesses and restaurants (after I changed out of my heels!) There were a lot of interesting places: expensive stores, eclectic vintage stores, and shops like what you see in Portlandia (I'm talking feminist bookstore-esque places). There was event a little gourmet popcorn joint called "Poplandia". I wish I had snapped some pictures, but I'm dying to go back and explore more so maybe next time I will.

Happy Monday!

No comments :

Post a Comment